Thursday, July 3, 2008

Don't Blame Others. Learn From Your Experiences.

The following is some very wise advice from Great Grandmaster Tae Yun Kim:
Often times students training at Jung SuWon Martial arts will complain, "that person kicked me", or "it was their fault, not mine".

For many people there is a natural tendency to blame others, and not take responsibility for their own actions. As an instructor, them to think differently, by asking some simple questions. Why did I get hit? Could I have moved out of the way? Could I have blocked better? If I trained more, could I have been better prepared? Was my attitude the best it could have been?

Help teach the students that they should re-direct that natural tendency to "blame others" into positive energy, towards self-examination and self-improvement. This will maximize the student's experience, help to motivate them more, and in the long run, this will make the "process" of training and learning a much more productive and enjoyable experience.

Remember, "enjoy the path". Learn to make your "path" more enjoyable, more productive, more educational, more motivational, and ultimately more deeply satisfying.
Jung Su!

No comments: